Day 2 – Sue

Well, so much for hoping today would be less stressful and busy!

My life really isn’t usually this busy … it’s just that a lot of projects at work are getting busy all at once (probably because our year-end performance reviews are coming up and people are scurrying around trying to meet their goals … including me!)

I had to get up early so that I could be ready to lead a meeting with IT people in France, Singapore and China.  I didn’t sleep well because I was worried about having to wake up early so that I’d be at work early, so I was tired on top of stressed this morning.  But I ate my standard breakfast and the meeting went well.

But because I had to get up early, I got hungry between breakfast and lunch.  Luckily, a friend had brought a new kind of tea into work and gave me a bag to try.  I used my new “slow down” skills to thoroughly savor the tea.  It was Chrysanthemum tea that she had purchased at an Asian market.  It was WONDERFUL! I enjoyed every sip.

I was able to go outside for a walk at lunch, which has been part of my daily routine since losing 52 pounds seven years ago.  I enjoy how the walk breaks up the day, and then I eat at my desk when I return. I usually pack my own lunch (a large salad with some kind of lean protein like tuna, salmon or chicken).  I find that I have better portion control when I pack my own lunch.  When the bowl is empty, lunch is over! I enjoyed the time at lunch, because I was texting with my daughter at college.  She was creating her first website, and it was fun to be in communication with her.

When I got home for dinner, I was VERY tired … so I took a quick nap.  My husband and I are recent empty nesters, so there is less urgency around when dinner is prepared.  I usually get home a little bit before him and start dinner, but tonight I knew the best thing to do was to take a little nap.  I knew that if I didn’t, I would just snack my way around the kitchen, confusing fatigue with hunger!

After my nap, I realized that I really WAS hungry and it would be about an hour before we would be ready to eat.  So I prepared a snack of two rice cakes with half an avocado and a little sprinkle of sea salt. It’s one of my favorite snacks.

When he came home, we enjoyed preparing dinner together.  And then we ate. I ate slowly and deliberately, savoring each bite.  The snack had taken the edge off my hunger, so I was able to slow down and enjoy each bite.

I’m having fun with this challenge.  Even though it’s been such a busy week, I’m enjoying a least TRYING to slow down. Tomorrow I have one more stressful meeting to be prepared for, and then the rest of the week should slow down to a normal pace.

Ta ta for now!

Comments are closed.